Friday 16 May 2014

The Fine Art Of Aging Without Grace

I was out the other night, at a Fender Guitar Import Presentation at the Tuning Fork in Auckland, and having a wonderful time.

Before the show commenced, my wife and I were enjoying a cold beer and soaking up the atmosphere - when over the venue speakers came the magic sound of Bryan Adams singing "Run To You."

I watched with some mild amusement at an aged man - definitely in his mid-to-late 60's - lost in his own world and without concern for appearance, rocking back in forth in his seat and mouthing the words to the song in perfect unison.

I was about to turn to my wife and say - 'Look at the old fella... rocking out' - not in a demeaning way but in a 'possum in my headlights' kind of way - when a terrible realisation suddenly dawned on me.

When this song was released back in the 80's, he was my age now...

Isn't life damned depressing? Well, the beer was nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment