Sunday 1 June 2014

An Uneducated Educator Of Musical Laziness

I am not a polished musician - since I first picked up the guitar at the age of 15, I have always struggled beyond the basics.

I had timing and finger co-ordination - I understood chord structure and notes... but where my friends adopted a powerful love affair for Stevie Ray Vaughan (I remember you weren't really a guitarist until you could play "Mary Had A Little Lamb") - a guitarist whose instrument of choice was simply an extension of the man himself - I knew straight away that I was in trouble.

It wasn't because I wouldn't be able to get to grips with the mans mastery of music - but simply because, deep down in my heart, I was just lazy. At some point in my development I figured I had enough under my belt to cope, and never bothered to reach beyond that.

I guess that is why I gravitate to country music - not that I am calling country musicians lazy - but I love the fact that all I have to deal with for the better part is three chords, sometimes showing off my skills by throwing in a fourth - but only if I have to - and possessing nothing but a voice to carry a story from the heartland.

Now, some people might suggest that that kind of simplistic attitude is a bad thing, but wasn't punk (of the 70's) the same reaction that led to the charge against the flashiness of the then-current self-confessed musical champions whom had driven the simple joy of creating simple music out of mainstream rock and roll? It was an emotionally-charged whirlwind of raw, primal musical muscle that proved that you did not need to be a virtuoso to play rock and roll.

After all - good music could be just three chords and attitude.

Again, I do appreciate talented musicians - people whom have developed their love of music to show true expression of their inner soul - people like Stevie Ray Vaughan - but for me, it all seems like hard work.

Rock and Roll is best served with a dash of sweat and swagger, determination and a tune everyone can hum.

Perhaps that is why I am where I am - but, then again...

No comments:

Post a Comment